Late October in Cozumel

It has been awhile since I updated this blog. A lot has been going on, but not much "new" stuff. Daily life involves arising when I want (usually), getting the animals fed. Feeding myself and then running errands. Along about 2-3:00 pm I try to get to the beach and snorkel for about an hour. Then head back home and sometimes I have a meeting, sometimes a party, sometimes dinner plans and , sometimes I just get my own dinner, feed the animals and get into my hammock. I have satillite tv and get all the same junk you get in the states. I am going to start this one with some old information. My encounter with a large sting ray.
This big beauty is the one that found itself between shore and us and wanted to go to deeper water. So it did and it swam right for us. Lisa didn't see it coming and was quite surprised when this big guy swam under her. I was just glad it was in a good mood. Visions of Steve Irwin swam through my thoughts.

Lisa is my friend that has Maxwell, the Chihauhua, that plays with Freckles all the time.

Freckles has learned to cock his head to the side when I talk to him and act like he is interested in what I am saying. He is too charming for his own good.

Maxwell caught in a silly moment. He and freckles will run and wrestle for hours. They are 9 and 11 months old but still full-on puppies.

Even though the groupers were leading the parade, they were probably following the eel. Since eels can get down in smaller holes in the reef to grab fish, the groupers hang around and wait for leftovers. I am so lucky I actually saw that amazing cooperation. Actually, the groupers are the cooperative ones, the eel could probably care less.

In late October I went snorkeling with the neighbors dive operation ( It was a splendid day. The water was very clear and the sky clear amd bright blue.We were out with a couple of newlyweds from California on their first dive and they really hit the jackpot.

I apologize for the quality of this video, it was taken on a clear day, but the eel and divers were 30 feet below me. I first saw a gang of groupers, large Naussau Groupers swimming past the divers and then this large Green Moray Eel. I had heard of this cooperative type of hunting before from one of the local dive masters.

Nacho and Jill on her 1st dive. New divers are accompanied by a single dive master/instructor (Nacho) on their first dives when diving with Sea Robin. Most of the underwater photos on the Sea Robin website were taken by Nacho. He is an award-winning underwater photographer.

This is one of the very few sharks I have seen while in Cozumel. This one is a "nurse" shark and they pretty docile. Most of the diving is done on the west side of the island and divers are lucky if they see a shark at all. The east side of the island is different. There are many species of large sharks over there. Again, the divers consider themselves lucky to see them. Being a chicken, I consider myself lucky not to see them. Although this one was thrilling for me even though it was 20 feet below me. Or maybe because it was 20 feet below me..

Above is a Fairy Basslet -- it is only about 2 inches long and very hard to photograph (for me). They dart quickly in and out of the coral and are quite territorial. They are one of the more colorful coral fish in the Carribbean. These are a popular salt-water aquarium fish. I prefer to see them in the Cozumel salt-water aquarium!

Much larger, but also very colorful is the Queen Triggerfish. I never get sick of seeing these beauties. I have photographed them many times, but this was a particularly good photo with clear water and bright sunshine the day I took this. Queen triggers feed on sea urchins by flipping them over and attacking the vulnerable underside. You will notice the odd fins on the top of the head. They are flat in the photo but these can be held erect when threatened and would keep a preditor from swallowing it whole.

Above is a Filefish when I first spotted it by a bit of coral. It swam very close to me and turned color as you see on the right. I am always fascinated when they do this and it is so rapid. It is an "emotional" expression, feeling threatened. Actually, this one looked like it was blushing to me. Just kidding.

Filefish are not particularly good swimmers, their small fins make them appear sluggish in the water. They are related to Triggerfish. The one above is a Scrawled Filefish. They live in shallow water and I see them fairly often when I swim in the Dzul Ha area.

Above is a nice French Angelfish. I see a lot of these when snorkeling near shore. To the right is an immature French Angelfish. I have seen them as small as your thumbnail before. The really little ones are impossible for me to photograph -- too quick getting back into the coral.

Here is a local fellow enjoying the water and reading the paper. He was on the shore just down from my casa. I think he typifies the life here in Cozumel. No rules, just go in whereever you feel like. What it doen't show is how hard-working the Cozumelanians are and how little time they get to spend at the beach.

This is a shot taken from approximately the same spot as the one above, just on an evening with very unusual lighting. I did a little experimenting with phototshop and this was the result.

Another shot, same day, same area with a different photoshop effect. I am going to be joining an artists guild here and these are some of the photos I am going to try to sell. They won't become active until the building by the square has been finished, expected sometime in December, we shall see, this is, after all, Mexico.

This was taken on the East side on a particularly spectacular day.

Now back at my house. This is a tarantula. It is outside the screen. She had Freckles barking his fool head off. I say she because she had laid eggs in my window and was staying there guarding them. I really don't mind these critters as long as they are outside, but I know when the eggs hatched the babies would be inside, so I persuaded this girl to leave. I did this very carefully by moving her out of the way of the wodden shutters and closing them. She still stayed on for over a day because her eggs were inside the shutters. After she left I cleaned all the eggs out so we wouldn't have any little ones in the housel.

Any comments or questions about this blog, feel free to contact me at: